I was out for coffee the other day with my friend Melissa. She is such an amazing person, with a heart for God, an intoxicating laugh; she is someone that I absolutely love being around. Unfortunately for me, she is planning on leaving Canada in the next couple of years to be a missionary in Italy. You see, Melissa lives her life with purpose and a sense of urgency. She seeks out people who don't have a relationship with Jesus, she doesn't wait for tomorrow because tomorrow may never come. She is intentional with her relationships. Watching Melissa this past while has made me take a step back and look at my own life as well as Christianity on the whole.
I don't approach my neighbors and ask them if they know Jesus. Heck, I wouldn't even recognize most of them. I actually refrain from having religious discussions with many of my friends who have different beliefs than me. But the more I think about it the more I realize how wrong I have been all these years. I thought that my actions would speak for my faith, that if I were to show love to my friends that someday they would ask about my faith and beliefs. And yes, some of my friends have asked. But what if tomorrow was the day Christ came again, and I only talked to those friends who asked? Their salvation is on the line, and I am sitting back and being passive?! When was the urgency taken out of Christianity? When was it replaced by tolerance?
The Word is truth, the Word gives eternal life! If you found the cure for cancer would you simply sit back in silence and watch those around you suffer and die? If you have a heart, I am guessing you answered no. So, why do so many Christians, myself included, sit and do nothing while the formula to salvation is in our hands? For me, my excuse has been that I do not want to offend anyone -- well guess what the Bible is clear, and it can also be offensive. So do should we sugar coat it or tell it like it is? I am not saying scare people into faith -- but we need to quit being so passive. We need to live with a sense of urgency that people will die without God if we don't share the gospel. We live in a corrupted world filled with evil and sin. As Ruth Graham so gently put it years back "If God doesn't bring judgment on America soon, He will have to apologize to Sodom and Gomorrah". Its the end times people, so start living with the mission in mind.
Saturday, November 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment